Monday, May 2, 2011

Yema Recipe

I am still on the initial stage of trying to learn how to cook. I am a technical person, having spent my entire career, so far, in Software Industry. Having said that, below are the 7 levels that I have in mind:

Innocent
Exposed
Apprentice
Practitioner
Journeyman
Master
Expert

I would refer to myself as "innocent". I will upgrade my level when I get tired of trying out dessert recipes :-)

My targets, as it is, are still simple dessert recipes. I found a few recipes online that looks easy. But when I tried to follow the procedure, it gives me a headache. Then I stumbled upon Yema recipes on a night that I crave for something sweet... that's not in my fridge. I am sure you had those kind of nights as well. Anyways, Yema recipes are easy to follow and the ingredients are usually available in the pantry. I am not giving credit to anyone as this is kind of a modified version of various Yema recipes available online. This is a simplified version I'd like to call my
own. :-) Try it out. It is really good.

Ingredients

3 tbsp unsalted butter

1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk

3 egg yolks

Procedure
1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan under low heat.
2. Stir in condensed milk for about 3 minutes.
3. Add the egg yolks and stir constantly.
4. When the desired consistency is reached, turn off the heat.
5. Allow the mixture to cool.
6. Using a 1/2 tbsp measuring spoon, scoop a spoonful of the mixture.
7. Using your hands, roll it into a ball.
8. Serve it in a plate or in mini baking cups.

It took me two tries to get it right. On the first try, I had the heat too high. The egg yolks cooked up before I get the chance to mix it well with the milk. I ended up with a mixture that still taste really good but with a layer of egg yolks. I learned my lesson, low heat on the second try. It takes longer when cooking under low heat but it turned out much better.

A lot of Yema recipes online has some nuts mixed in. No nuts for me as I like my Yema smooth.

And the quest continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment